The challenge was to use the herringbone stitch. This 4" X 6" format has four seams.
The top seam is done with a double herringbone stitch, couched over a piece of ribbon. The bottom row of stitches is gold coloured perle cotton (haven't learned the numbers yet) and the top is a velvet thread.
The bottom seam is burgundy DMC or similar thread, three strands and has a gold mesh type thread woven through the stitches.
The top and bottom stitches I prefer because they are very precise in their size and shape.
The right hand seam is done in a copper DMC -type thread. I tried to make the stitches random in their height and width.
The left hand seam is done in a ribbon like thead, don't know what it's called. I made these stitches short and very close together.
I went outside of my "box" on the left and right seams and I guess that is what the challenge is all about. I don't like the results.
However, from the results of the other participants, I saw some lovely ideas and may just give them a try.
So thanks to Sharon for getting us started and all whose ideas enrich my own stitch repertoire.
- ▼ 2007 (56)
- ► 2006 (117)