Thursday, April 13, 2006

Chasal Seder Pesach

So last night's seder was good and fun. We had twenty-four people at the table!! Aside from the immediate family (my mother, Bat & Sandy, Devora and Noam, Yunkie, Mindy, and Alana, Jeremy and Michelle) we had Aunty Ethel, Alissa, Mel and Johanna and Matty, who I guess are pretty close to immediate family. And then we had my mother's "entourage" -- Chaim (formerly known as Charles...), Noam and his sister,(I can't remember her name at the moment), Ori, and his wife, Tali (formerly known as Stacey), and Ori's mom and brother, Tzvia and Oded. Sandy joked that my mother travels with her own minyan...
Even our two tables put together were still a bit short so we improvised by adding a board between the tables to provide another 4 table settings. The atmosphere was festive and laid back. The Israeli contingent was very musical so we had a lot of singing.
And the food was delish as usual. Menachem's gefilte fish turned out great. He also made an aromatic roasted vegetable soup with Odetta's ugly but yummy knaidlach, roasted chicken (very moist, so I'm told), roasted potatoes and yams, roasted vegetables, and tsimmes. Devora brought two types of green salads. My mother did not disappoint with her veal roast or so all the carnivores tell me. We finished off with a wonderful sponge cake Alissa made, a chocolatey cake Bat-Sheva brought, my mother's matza anti-dote, compote, and a gorgeous fruit platter Menachem made with melons, pineapple, grapes and strawberries.
I have to admit that by the time the last of our guests left (after 11 p.m.), my back ached and my feet were throbbing. I got one load of dishes done while people were still at the table, put another into the dishwasher before I went to bed and did another two machines this morning. So now everything is clean and ready for tonight. No, we're not doing another seder. Just a quiet meal with Mom, Rachel and Adi and us. I doubt if we'll finish the leftovers, but hopefully we'll make a dent in them.
Tomorrow, nothing is planned. It's Easter Friday so everything will be closed. I hope to get some sewing done.
And then Saturday we're going up to Perth to make our initial spring camp inspection and meet with contractors. Sunday, we may drop in on Dee. And that's about it.
I'm going to take a nap before I put away the last of yesterday's dishes so that's all for now.

No comments:

About Me

I am in my mid 50's, have been married (happily) for 38 years, have 3 adult children who live an ocean away... By day I am a legal secretary. The rest of the time I play with fabric but I still won't run with scissors...