Thursday, December 22, 2005

Cutting all done

As soon as I came home from work yesterday, I went straight to my studio and finished cutting the templates. They are now neatly piled beside the sewing machine and waiting patiently for the weekend when I can sew uninterrupted.

Last night I went to a meeting of the Pomegranate Guild. Arlette and Melanie showed some of the felted materials and vessels they had made and then demonstrated how to felt. I thought that I had ruined a sweater once. Turns out I just felted it.

Almost as soon as they started "carding", I started itching and turned red. I can't wear wool because it irritates my skin but this was worse. Funny, when we raised sheep their wool didn't bother me...

I doubt if I will ever do felting, but it got me thinking about all the techniques I have learned and how my exposure to other types of needle arts through the guild have influenced my own work and creative process. So even when the temperatures are below zero, the snow is blowing and I'd much rather crawl into bed with a good book and a cup of cocoa, I usually make the effort to go to guild meetings. Except next month's meeting when the topic will be knitting, a skill I do not have nor do I intend to acquire. But I do crochet and there may be yarn for my stash. Hmmm....

No comments:

About Me

I am in my mid 50's, have been married (happily) for 38 years, have 3 adult children who live an ocean away... By day I am a legal secretary. The rest of the time I play with fabric but I still won't run with scissors...