Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Industrializing -- part two

So, I tried assembly lining the cq's. It went surprisingly well, even though there were a few glitches. The spray glue sprays farther than expected but I had moved stuff out of the way so nothing got sticky, the spray glue was old so a little globby. It took me about an hour to get everything set up: gluing template squares to freezer paper, cutting template pieces, and laying them out by block. I have a rotary cutter which I use for paper only so my concerns about ruining my good rotary cutter were not relevant. I let everything dry overnight. This morning, between 5:30 a.m. (insomnia) and 7:00 a.m., I got all but 5 of the 16 cq fabric squares cut. I will do the remainder this evening or tomorrow morning.
Actually, the part that takes the most time is deciding on which fabric to place where. Because I am using specific fabrics, I can't quite put them down randomly and have to alternate so as not to have identical squares. I suppose if I really wanted to assembly line a project, I would use something like the "Stack a Deck" method. Maybe I'll give it a try once I finish this one.
Anyways, it goes well! I should be able to sew them up on the weekend and start embellishing.

No comments:

About Me

I am in my mid 50's, have been married (happily) for 38 years, have 3 adult children who live an ocean away... By day I am a legal secretary. The rest of the time I play with fabric but I still won't run with scissors...