Saturday, December 24, 2005

Day one of long weekend

So, very productive day. I got all the cq squares sewn. And figured out how to do piecing, ironing, sewing efficiently by reconfiguring my "studio" (fancy name for bedroom no longer in use).
My studio is about 10 ft. by 10 ft. I will try to post photos soon. My central work area is three work tables (fancy name for kids' old 4 ft. long by 2 ft. deep desks) two tables back to back and the third at the end giving me a 6 ft. long by 4 ft. deep surface. I also have a fabric/book/supply station (fancy name for wall unit inherited from brother-in-law's mother's estate), an ironing board and iron (acquired when my daughter moved home and subsquently moved to Israel leaving them behind), I think you get the picture -- I'm a firm believer in recycling and making do with what I already have (a fancy term for cheap). I have one of those clear plastic drawers on wheels units which believe it or not was purchased new. One of the back to back desks is my sewing table, the other back to back is my serger table (for the serger I thought I needed and rarely use because I'm too lazy to thread it) and the end table is my cutting table.
I took my (16 year old Singer plain stitch) sewing machine off the sewing table and placed it on a small wooden tv dinner type table beside my chair on the right-hand side. This freed up my sewing table for putting an ironing pad and iron on the right hand side, the cq template in the middle and the cq cut squares on the left.
Once again, I assembly-lined the process -- sew piece, iron, sew next piece, iron, etc. The only thing I didn't do assembly-line was trimming the squares. I was in constant fear that with the pulling and straightening of squares they would be less than 8 inches. I was close a few times but all met the minimum.
After I finished sewing them, I took them and the central panel downstairs to lay out on the dining room table and decide placement. But the table wasn't long enough without extra leaves which I didn't feel like getting, and I was tuckered out so I'll do the placement tomorrow morning.
I also got the baby quilt fabric washed and will iron it tomorrow.
And did I mention the lovely background choral music on the classical station this time of year?
All in all, a good day.
Chaya

No comments:

About Me

I am in my mid 50's, have been married (happily) for 38 years, have 3 adult children who live an ocean away... By day I am a legal secretary. The rest of the time I play with fabric but I still won't run with scissors...