Sunday, February 05, 2006

Breast Cancer Block

Got off to a rocky start. Experienced cq'ers know how to piece. I piece the same as for machine sane quilting. I copy the design onto freezer paper, cut out the pattern pieces, iron onto the fabric, then cut out adding quarter inch seam allowances. I sew together pieces 1,2, & 3 before I remember that it's not sane and I should be using the muslim foundation. So I carefully mark the back of the muslin foundation, machine flip and sew and -- absolutely no correlation between the foundation and the top.

Do I let this discourage me? No. I simply mark another piece of muslim and pin the block, with the off kilter foundation to the new piece of muslim. So I have finished, more or less all the seams. Compared to other blocks I have seen, I am the queen of conservative. The pieces are all white and off-white (all but one from my sisters', my cousin's and my wedding dresses). The embellishment colours are greens, purples, mauves and pinks. I think it looks sort of nice but I'll defer judgment until I finish it. I'd like to try some crocheted motifs, probably flowers, but I'm not sure yet. And I have to figure out how to sign it.

So, being totally absorbed in that today, I didn't touch Auf Simchas. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'm now off to read a bit.

No comments:

About Me

I am in my mid 50's, have been married (happily) for 38 years, have 3 adult children who live an ocean away... By day I am a legal secretary. The rest of the time I play with fabric but I still won't run with scissors...