Sunday, February 12, 2006

Only three cq squares left!

Before I tell you what I did today, let me start by telling you that Carmit turned 31 today. Although I no longer think I'm 18, it's still hard to believe that she's 31. And she's the middle child...

I got a lot done today. Finished a few more squares, repaired a few and now have only three left!! Hopefully with a little stitching each morning and a little each evening I'll be finished by the end of the week. Or at least finished the first pass. Afterwards, I have buttons, silk ribbon embroidery and perhaps motifs to add. I say perhaps motifs because I'm not overly enamoured with the ready-made lace type motifs I have, I'm not overly impressed with the quality of the crochet motifs I've been attempting to make and I kind of like the way the exposed fabric looks. And I don't have to "fill the whole page" if I decide not to. (When we lived on kibbutz, I was an ECE assistant to the main metapelet [ECE teacher]. She used to give the kids paper to draw on or glue stuff onto. One girl took a gum wrapper and stuck it on the paper and said she was finished. The metapelet said "fill the whole page". Since then, "fill the whole page" has become a catch phrase Menachem and I use for overdoing things.)

Menachem finished another wall of the bathtub tiling. The room already looks better. Hopefully tomorrow he'll make headway on the final wall -- the one with the taps and shower thing, the one where cutouts have to be made in the tiles and it takes longer. Also, the bottom rows of tiles he has to do kneeling and with his bad knees it's difficult. So he isn't pushing it and contrary to what he says, I'm not pushing him either. At least not in that regard... Once the tiling is done, we'll have to rethink the medicine chest. Actually, I've already rethought it. It's old, the silver of the mirror edges is flaking and the chrome hinges are rusting. We have new mirror tiles, Carmit's detritis... I think, with a nicer light fixture, it will give the bathroom a new lease on life. I know he's not enamoured of the idea of putting up drywall and plastering over it, but if we're already fixing, we might as well go all the way, no?

After today's tiling, we were going to visit my mother who we haven't seen for a few weeks because she was in Florida and only got back Wednesday. We were going to go yesterday but Bat & Sandy were there so we figured we'd go today, spread out the visits. I called her but there was no answer from noon on. I called Yunkie to check if he knew where she was and he said something about her going to a concert.

So when Alissa invited us over for coffee and a shmooze, and she still wasn't answering, we went. Menachem tried to help Matty with a computer problem, unfortunately unsuccessfully. And then Alissa, Mel and we had our shmooze. I called my mom from there too and still no answer. I wasn't worried because my mother has a busy social life.

When we got home, there was a phone call. Turns out my mom took Ethel to a mandolin concert and then had a visit at Ethel's with Shloimeh and Zena. She got home five minutes before we did. So we'll try to get together during the week one day after work. Maybe Wednesday because I have a Pomegranate Guild meeting near her house anyways.

And that's about all for today.

No comments:

About Me

I am in my mid 50's, have been married (happily) for 38 years, have 3 adult children who live an ocean away... By day I am a legal secretary. The rest of the time I play with fabric but I still won't run with scissors...